Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering
About Location Labs by Avast:
Location Labs is the leader in mobile consumer products that enhance the personal safety of millions of users. Acquired in 2016 by online security leader Avast, our services are used by millions of monthly paying subscribers worldwide. Our engineers work closely with major device manufacturers, platform providers and network operators worldwide to provide cutting-edge solutions leveraging remote mobile device management tools. Our company is redefining the market with a refreshing take on location services and the way in which mobile devices are managed. Check us out at https://www.locationlabs.com/careers
About this Role:
Location Labs is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead an exceptional team of engineers and help create the next generation of our products. Join us as we scale our products to add millions of new users while simultaneously meeting some of the strictest SLAs around. Your role will have both technical and managerial focuses. On the technical side, you will guide the direction of our development and evolve our architecture through the incorporation of cutting-edge technologies. On the management side, you will grow our team and help shape the future of the engineering organization.
What We're Looking from You:
- You are passionate about the architecture, quality and performance of the applications your team builds.
- You are skilled at prioritizing projects and allocating resources based on company goals.
- You are an expert in building highly scalable and resilient services.
- You are focused on the growth and success of both the company and the engineers that contribute to that success.
- You have comprehensive understanding of the tech stack and have owned the development, build, testing and release process.
- You constantly incorporate new and creative technical solutions to improve your products.
- You are hands-on when it comes to implementation and are excited to get in the threnches with your team
- You collaborate closely with qa, product, and project management to ensure successful completion of engineering deliverables.
- You lead by example and motivate teams to overcome obstacles and drive initiatives to completion.
- At least 8 - 10 years of software engineering experience (3 - 5 in a managerial capacity)
- Have lead teams of 15+ engineers
- You have experience in both mobile and backend application development
- Expertise in the majority of the technologies listed below
Tech We Use:
- Backend: Java with Spring and Hibernate, or Python with Flask and SQLAlchemy
- Frontend: React, Ember, Backbone, CSS3, SASS, Handlebars
- Data: Percona, Redis, RabbitMQ, Kafka and Riak to flow and persist our data
- Infrastructure: Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes and Spinnaker to keep our production systems running onv our both our own machines and in AWS
- Mobile: Swift 3, Cocoapods, Typhoon/Swinject, Realm, Gson/Jackson, Dagger2, Espresso, Crashlytics/Fabric, Branch.io, and more
- Metrics: Optimizely, Elasticsearch-Logstash-Kibana, Graphite, InfluxDB, Grafana and Amplitude to help understand our users
- Continuous Integration: We use Jenkins to build our software and Crucible extensively for code review.