Sr. Cloud Developer
AVAST Software (www.avast.com), maker of the world's most popular antivirus, protects over 400 million computers and mobile devices with our security applications. In business for over 25 years, AVAST is one of the oldest companies in the computer security business, with a portfolio covering everything from free antivirus for PC, Mac, and Android, to premium suites and services for business - offered in about 40 languages.
Based in Prague, Czech Republic, with offices in North America, Europe, and Asia, AVAST Software employs some of the brightest new talent in the IT industry, from around 30 different nations.
At the Avast Ottawa location, our software engineers develop next generation remote monitoring and management (RMM) systems that allows an IT solution provider to monitor the security, health and performance of customer IT assets 24/7. Our engineers are versatile and passionate about tackling new problems as we continue to push our cloud technology forward.
We are looking for a Cloud Developer with a passion for solving tough problems within cloud ecosystems. You are someone who wants to play an influential role in shaping the architecture of our current and future cloud solutions. Beyond your skills as a developer, you are someone who obsesses about performance, geeks out about building applications that scale, and wants to solve problems with massive volumes of data.
What you will do:
- Drive optimizations of our cloud product
- Work closely with the Architects to design and implement solutions that help modernize our architecture to meet business goals
- Be an expert in cloud related areas such as performance, scalability, reliability, security and operational cost
- Fix cloud specific defects related to areas of expertise
- Support feature teams in developing and implementing requirements related to areas of expertise
- Support performance testing conducted by QA
- Support application deployment and monitoring conducted by DevOps
- Conduct and participate in design and code reviews
- Set high work standard and act as role model for others to follow
- Maintain documentation for the code produced
- Research and present on latest development trends, technology and methodologies
What you should have:
- 6-8+ years of cloud/web development experience
- Solid experience in most of the following areas:
o Distributed computing, creating scalable and highly available products
o Experience developing software with a Microsoft stack:
- Windows Server
- Internet Information Server
- SQL Server
- C#, .NET, ASP.NET and MVC frameworks
o Object Oriented Design
o Scrum agile process and JIRA
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a high demand and changing environment
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask and prioritize
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Outspoken, enthusiastic, and self-motivated
What is nice to have:
- Familiarity with performance analysis tools: ANTS, PerfView, Visual Studio
- Understanding of instrumentation and monitoring tools: StatsD and Graphana or similar
- Competency with a variety of open source tools: ELK, Redis, Docker, Cassandra or similar
What you’ll get from us:
- Great benefits: Competitive pay, unlimited vacation, free snacks and pop
- Fun team building activities: Tech Talks and fun days
- Experience working in a friendly and talented environment
We are committed to a candidate selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. In order to ensure candidates are assessed in a fair and equitable manner, accommodations will be provided to prospective employees in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live in and serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals.